Friday, January 24, 2014

D is for Dinosaur

         So this was back in November... but better late than never! We actually had been taking part of a co-op class on dinosaurs, so I did my best to find projects that differed from what we had already learned.

       Have I mentioned how much I love My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum? Well, I'm going to say it again. I LOVE IT! We started the day singing 5 little dinosaurs (think 5 little monkeys jumping on the bed), and we read the book "What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs?" by John Morris and Ken Ham. I'm so glad it came with the curriculum as it is really hard to find a dinosaur book that doesn't begin with "Millions of years ago...". Yes, I belief in God the Creator and that dinosaurs were made on day 6 with all the other land animals. If you want to start a debate with me, just hold yourself back and check out the big debate happening on February 4th!
http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreach/event/Nye-Ham-Debate/

Okay, back on track. We read the creation story in Genesis, and some from Revelation even. As the teacher book explains, "we praise God because He created everything. Big and small, God made them all!"

One of the math related, hands-on weekly projects scheduled in the curriculum is to build pictures that start with that letter with Cuisenaire rods. Here is letter D:

Other fun Dino activities in pictures:

making stuffed dinos with paper bags and plastic bags (inside)


making cast dinos with playdough, dino imprints, and plaster of paris.




and on a seperate note... I am so proud of my little kindergartener! He has been part of a music class, and he took part in a class performance for a nursing home at Thanksgiving. He has had trouble with stage fright (comes running off crying or doesn't even make it on stage) in the past, but he finally went up on stage and he did great! This is his proud expression after it was all over. He has learned a lot this year about animals, Godly character, and even self-confidence. I am so very, very Thankful!

No comments: