Tuesday, April 15, 2014

H is for Horse

We focused on the words "I obey right away" with our H is for horse unit. These words are sooooooooooooooooooooo beyond needed in our family. I know training my kids to obey the FIRST time I tell them to do something is something that I have to train myself to expect from them. Not as easy as it sounds, though. We talked about Noah, Jonah, and Jesus as a child and how they obeyed (at least obeyed eventually).

Now, when my kids are not listening to instructions, I ask them "do you remember what we learned when we talked about H for Horse?" They are learning to reply... "I obey right away!"

I didn't really take many pictures for our horse unit. My boys just don't get excited about horses. That is fine by me, as it is a very expensive hobby:). 

We did make clay horses:

We enjoyed looking at books about wild horses, and we also read a children's storybook about Seabiscuit.
They had a blast pretending to be (Seabiscuit) racing horses:


We are also reading this classic:

We played a treasure hunt game to further teach the "obey right away" concept. I hid a treasure box of chocolate coins for both boys. I gave them step by step instructions, and they had to follow my directions exactly in order to find the hidden treasure.
After they found the hidden treasure and enjoyed the surprise,  I asked them "what would have happened if you had not listened and obeyed? Do you think God has wonderful surprises hidden for us, too, if we listen and obey?"
We read: "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."- James 1:22






No comments: