Saturday, May 31, 2014

F is for Frog and Forgiven

             I will never forget learning F is for Frog with my son, because it was in a middle of a this lesson that my son asked Jesus to be his Savior. There was a lot leading up to this decision, including Easter the week before, so I knew he was so very close... he just needed to know that he NEEDED Jesus. That idea is sorta hard for a kid who doesn't really know what real need is. He has never known true need in his life, and I am so glad he has lived such a blessed life, but it does make it harder to know that you need the Savior.
         What made the realization come was learning "I use my tongue wisely" during the frog unit. We were actually in the middle of playing a game I came up with:

I don't remember our exact dialogue, but the point of the game was to read different ways we can use our tongues wisely, like the frog. The game lead to talk about lying, which lead to talk about sin, which lead to talk about the fact that EVERYBODY sins so.....EVERYBODY needs God's salvation. I could almost see the little wheels in my son's head turning. He knew that he had lied before, he had sinned, and he finally understood that he needed Jesus to save him. His words were "I want to say the prayer so Jesus can save me, and I can go to heaven to be with Him." 
It took every bit of self-control I had to keep myself from screaming in joy! As I didn't want to scare my children, and I wanted to make sure he truly understood what he was committing to, I happily read bits of Romans and explained to Tobin as best as I could what it meant to be a Christian. Then we called my mom and listened to her scream with joy!!!!!lol!
We spent the rest of that day telling everyone the good news. My son wanted ME to tell EVERYONE! My neighbors now know all about salvation:). 
We did get back to school work... the next day. We added this devotional his Sunday school teacher gave him to our morning time:

We also played a math game learning our +9's with our frogs and lilypads:
Learning his 9's from Math-u-seeAlpha

His handwriting is so good now!
Teaching brother under the table:

We made a frog book of facts and he did his copywork (though he refused to use the lines for some reason)

We actually watched tadpoles turn into frogs (well, one made it that far) last year, so the frog life cycle was familiar already. tadpoles to frog, April 2013

At the end of this unit I realized I had less than 4 weeks left to reach 180 days of school, but I still had 7 units left! This wouldn't be a big deal if I planned on schooling year round, which might tempt me if I didn't need to focus on getting our house ready to sell and move. So, my bright idea... next comes "R for Rock" and "J for Jewel" at the same time. Living on the homeschool wild side, HA!

No comments: