Thursday, June 5, 2014

R is for Rock and J is for Jewel

I'm so glad we did "R for Rock" and "J for Jewel" together. The books I found overlapped with both topics, and honestly, my knowledge about both topics overlaps a lot. Thank goodness I have geologist grandparents that have given my boys A LOT of cool rocks and gems for us to look at. Too bad I'm not very good at distinguishing what rock is what, but I am hoping that my boys will have some enjoyable rock conversations with their great-grandparents soon, as they are moving to Chattanooga next week!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

Just look at the collection we already have from my grandparents:
 We sorted them by color/size/type as best as we could:


Here is a piece of fool's gold with our lesson for "R for Rock":
"I listen and obey. I build my life on the Rock."
Of course, we talked and sang about "The wise man built his house upon the rock."
They loved this video too:


We also bought some geodes to bust open:




We learned with J for Jewel that "Jesus is more valuable than anything else." I taught them the song "Lord, you are more precious than silver..." And we talked A LOT about heaven. About the streets of gold, the gates of pearl, and all the jewels listed in Revelation that were seen by John in the New Jerusalem. 

Here is the math worksheet for this unit:

The curriculum suggested that we make necklaces of jewels...um, yeah right. I have two boys. So we made crowns of jewels. That of course turned into playing Yellow King and Blue King (thankfully, I convinced them to be on the same team so they wouldn't hurt each other with those swords).




We did everything in three days! I think we left out only one worksheet (as some repeat each lesson), so I don't feel like we missed anything. We read the books "Stone Soup" and "A Cache of Jewels", and then we were ready to move on to K for Kangaroo!







No comments: