Friday, June 6, 2014

Q for Quail

   Q for Quail is pretty much a repeat of the info in N for Nest at the beginning of the year, but since my boys love birds, they were happy to talk about them again. Learning how to write the letter "Q" and that "qu" go together at the beginning of words was my biggest focus anyways. Plus, the Biblical concept for this unit was "I don't grumble or complain; I am thankful." We ALL need to remember those words DAILY!
                    As a side note, I recommend the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp for all moms. It has really changed my perspective on daily living for God and the need to live moment by moment with a thankful heart.

I have been making my own list of "thousand gifts" or little things I am thankful for. I encouraged my child to do the same, in his own way, when we talked about not complaining, but being thankful instead.
I wanted him to feel free to say what was on his heart, so I didn't make him write all his words. He wanted to write his brother's name and "I love you God" at the end, which just makes it all the more special.

We made "quail eggs" (pb and oats) and did our "Q" and math worksheets.


Some units, including this one, begins with a poem for you to read to your kids. I loved reading "All Things Bright and Beautiful" by Cecil Francis Alexander. I chose 4 out of the 6 verses to write on a poster and illustrate for the boys to enjoy. This is one way that shows My Father's World has Charlotte Mason's style at heart. Love it!

We had a blast making fingerprint birds on a wire. I found this idea on pinterest on this website:


Art worthy of the fridge:).

We spent a lot of time outside with our collection of birds


One fun activity with our curriculum was pretending to be birds and flapping our wings. Crows flap their wings twice a second, pigeons flap their wings three times a second, and hummingbirds flap their wings 70 times in one second! This taught time, rhythm, and caused lots of giggles. 

We read about Paul and Silas, and Paul's words:
I have learned the secret of being content no matter what happens. I am content whether I am well fed or hungry. I am content whether I have more than enough or not enough. I can do everything by the power of Christ. He gives me strength. Philippians 4:12b-13

Now, those, are words to live by.




1 comment:

MamaDuck76 said...

The fingerprint birds are really cute! I will have to remember that for our next go 'round with MFW K! :)