Thursday, October 17, 2013

A is for Apple

Finally it's Fall and time to return to our My Father's World curriculum!
We started last January, but we stopped because there were no leaves (L) or apples (A) to enjoy in winter! I am so glad I held off, because we went to an apple farm with our co-op friends!




This was a first for me too, and it was a wonderful experience. 


We then took all those apples home that we picked and used them for school.


 We made our very first chart.
 My five year old organized them by color, counted them, and then placed them on the graph I made
 (this idea comes straight from the My Father's World kindergarten manual).



 The MFW also had the idea of making applesauce and an apple pie. I dutifully bought the apple pie at the apple farm. We made applesauce, but it wasn't very good. Good thing I didn't try making the pie:).

 My three year old had a blast playing with the peelings in the sink. He can always make me smile, even when I am frustrated with clumpy applesauce:).

We painted with apples ....


 and we did a science experiment too. The right plate of apples has lemon juice on them.

 We also painted with tissue paper (leaves) and corks (apples)


We read the book Ten Apples Up On Top

I had the magnets of the boys already, so we made magnet felt boards with 10 apples on top both of their heads. They loved this! It was an easy winner!

I am so glad we are back to our regular curriculum. Making your own unit studies is a lot of work and organization! My Father's World makes it so I can relax and make sure we thoroughly cover every letter, number, and season. 




No comments: