Wednesday, October 23, 2013

L for Leaf

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
 - L M Montgomery

L for Leaf = we got to spend a lot of glorious time enjoying God's beautiful world!!!!

This is the 3rd unit in My Father's World Kindergarten, and I sorta wish they had made this unit #1.  I am glad that we started "L" for leaf back in the winter, because:
 (1) it made me focus on my sons"L" lisp (which is adorable, but time he outgrows it)
(2) It upped his writing confidence. "L,l" is easy to write, while"S" and "M" (unit #1 and unit #2) ARE NOT.

We hit the pause button on this unit back in early March, and now that the leaves are turning....
it's time to start anew!


Day #2 instructions in our manual was to "go on a leaf hunt." We went on one every day for a week:).


I love that even the dead leaves are worthy of collecting in my 3 year old's mind.
Of course, the yellow ones are his favorites (he is yellow obsessed).


(we did have a time-out from the leaf hunt to release the enormous frog Grandpa brought us)



We pressed the leaves, and then put them in order by size.




Of course, we had to do some leaf rubbings, and use the leaf stickers I had been hiding for this unit.

We actually haven't hit the peak color yet, but you never know around here if and when that will happen. I am hoping that our family photos will occur on the magic tree day.

Oh, back to school - Teacher Mom has her head in the clouds again. I wonder how long it will take for my kids to pick up on the fact that I cannot resist a beautiful day outside and use that info against boring school days?

The words to remember for this unit are "I will live and grow in Jesus." My five year old really held on to the fact that we are the branches and Jesus is the big vine. The boys both loved learning the song "Read your Bible, pray every day, and you'll grow,grow,grow...". I had forgotten  about that gem.
   
 I love My Father's World. Yes, my son is beyond counting to three beans at this point. No biggie. We just count 3+3+3+3. I rather feel like we are ahead of the game then feel pressured to push my child to work too hard. He is just 5! Oh my goodness he is smart, and I want to kindle the flame. This curriculum is perfect for us. I can't wait for "T" for turtle, and learning about our 5 senses with "u" for us, and then "D" for dinosaurs (my three year old keeps asking when we are going to talk about dinosaurs). As we add vowels, we also add actual words and reading, and Tobin is ready!



No comments: