Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mexican Fiesta

While Daddy was in Mexico on a business trip, we studied Mexico at home. Thanks to Dora and Diego, my boys understood the concept of speaking Spanish. We learned 1-10 in Spanish, and how to sing "Gloria Dios," "Alleluia," and " Dios es Amor" (with finger puppets).

We looked at pictures I had pinned on pinterest, and we enjoyed our children's atlas book.

We also watched the Kratt Brothers learn about the Monarch butterflies that fly to Mexico every year. My boy LOVES bugs. He retained this information better than anything else we talked about.

Oh, and we talked about shapes. I didn't really find a way to make that about Mexico, but I wanted to review them and add some new ones to his vocab, and I figured now is the best time. We also made symmetrical drawings (butterfly/house/tree), and my little man made a hopscotch game (good way to review his numbers). 




We made a pinata, which was much more time consuming than I had remembered. Tobin was excited about the first layer of slime and newspaper, but after that, I was on my own.

He didn't realize he had cute dots of paper mache glue on his nose:).


We then got ready for the fiesta to welcome Daddy home! Naturally, the boys decided to do something I would never think of: making felt ponchos and pom-pom/foam sombreros for their dinosaurs to decorate the table with. 


The boys and their friends made a "bienvenida a casa" (welcome home) sign, and we finished our Mexican Angry Bird pinata. 

Daddy made it home safely (but sickly-thanks a lot Mexico). Family came over, and the fiesta began. We ate tacos and queso, and we enjoyed listening to some Herb Alpert. The boys loved breaking the pinata, eating candy, and showing off their finger puppet skills.



Out of all my do-it-yourself unit studies, I enjoyed this one the most. I have always loved learning about other cultures, and it was fun to share things I had from my own travels to Mexico.  I can't wait to learn about more cultures and what a big, big world we are a part of with my boys. 

No comments: